Friday, April 13, 2007

Triton Community College District 504: April 2007

I thought my job for this election was over -- but then I discovered this site


The site doesn't always work -- but when it does -- it shows a sample ballot for every district -- and I discovered that I also need to pick the trustees for Triton Community College.

There are seven trustees with three up for election this cycle. Terms are six years.

I know nothing about the school -- the issues -- or any of the candidates.

*****************************************************************

Online endorsements and brief discussion has been offered by a few local newspapers and Carl Nyberg (a local blogger)-- but only one candidate has bothered to present himself and his ideas: Alfonza "Al" McKinnor (who put the info up on the Cook County Clerk's site)


Why would candidates run for office without presenting themselves to the voters ? (unless they're just serving the interests of some political patron)

So I'm voting for McKinnor -- and nobody else.

*****************************************************************

below I've appended McKinno's info page -- since I'd expect the Cook County Clerk to take it off-line after the election:



I’m running to fill the position of Trustee on Triton College’s Board because I feel that the current system has to be changed, and to change a system, a person must work on the inside to influence the change. The system I want to change is the culture or personality of the college from the present culture of fear and distrust to one of excitement. Employees should be excited to be a part of Triton College.

My main strengths are my experience/education:
Served eight years as a village trustee in the Village of Maywood.
Served five years on the Board of Fire/Police Commissioners.
Served ten years as an advocate for youth in Juvenile Court.
Served two years as president of the Maywood American Cancer Society.
Served two years as President of St. Martin Catholic School PTA.
Currently serving as the Executive Director of the Maywood Park District.
Candidate for a DBA (Doctorate of Business Administration) from Argosy University-Schaumburg Campus.
Advance Certificate in Business from Argosy University-Schaumburg.

The issues I would address are:
1. Organizational Structure- restructure the system to eliminate unnecessary administrative positions, and seek-out more career faculty for new programs. Identify the top programs needed to increase Triton’s awareness to new and former students.
2. Increase partnerships with national and international businesses to establish Triton College as a leader in the global market.
3. Eliminate the traditional way students earn their degrees from Triton.
4. Continue to offer retirement incentives to attract new faculty.

Residents should vote for me because I have demonstrated that I have the stick-to-it attitude necessary to change Triton College. The passion to make Triton better is still in me after thirty years as an instructor. I want to give back to the institution that I helped build; I am qualified, and there is still a lot of work to accomplish to make Triton the #1 institution in the country. I would like to mirror the positive attributes that Mayor Daley has fostered for the City of Chicago.

No comments: